top of page

Non-Immigrant visas

Non-immigrant visas covered from a wide range of scope. Whether individuals’ motivations for temporarily staying in the United States are for leisure, pursing education, career-oriented or marriage/family uniting, choosing the right visas to apply not only saves time, but can guarantee higher chances of success.

The main difference between non-immigrant visas and immigrant visas are that non-immigrant visas usually limited the applicants with a specific period of time to stay in the U.S. The time can range from a few weeks to several years, depending on the types of visas; also, applicants for each specific non-immigrant visa petition are strictly allowed to come to the U.S. “only” for reasons that the visas specified. For instance, no student visa (F-1) individuals can deviate from the duty of being a full-time student rather than engaging in work. Due to the fact that this is a Non-immigrant visa, usually applicants’ intention to come to the U.S. plays an important role for the final approval decision.

Although a few work visas may change the status to permanent residency (green card), most non-immigrant visas petitioners must show no intention to remain in the U.S. after the termination of their legal stay. Usually, petitioners’ dependent spouses and minor children will be given derivative visas according to the granted visas applied. Start your research today by clicking the appropriate categories on the left and have our professionals guide you according to your concerns.

Visitor for Business or Leisure (B-1 / B-2)

B visa is a non-immigrant visa that enables individuals to travel to the United States for vacations or business trips. Individuals must apply for a visa at a U.S. consulate abroad prior to the trip. Whether or not to grant the B-1/B-2 visa is in the interest of the American Consulate abroad and it is advised that there should be no intention to give up the foreign residency.

B-1 visa is for individuals who enter the U.S. for business trips or conduct business meetings, whereas B-2 visa is for short vacations or family visits. Sometimes business and pleasure are often mixed when traveling and hence the B-1 and B-2 are issued as a combined B-1/B-2 visas. In addition, individuals who are holding B-1/B-2 non-immigrant visa wishing to “change status” to another non-immigrant visa is permissible. The period of stay for B-1/B-2 visa is somewhere ranged from 1 month to 6 months maximum, with possible extension of another 6 months.

Certain countries may have qualified for Visa Waiver Program (VWP) which is an alternative to the B visa. Usually individuals travel from qualified countries need to register with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s (CBP) Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). Individuals who travel via VWP may be granted for the duration of 90 days and no “change of status” or extension allowed. However, individuals travel from VMP countries may also apply for B-1/B-2 visas to enter the U.S. via regular process as described above if individuals plan to stay in the U.S. for more than 90 days or to change/extend their B-1/B-2 status in the U.S.

Jian Law Group will serve our clients in the interest of “changing the status” from B-1/B-2 to another non-immigrant visas, for more information please refer to the related link (change status) or contact us for a prompt reply.

bottom of page