top of page

Non-Immigrant visas

Non-immigrant visas covered from a wide range of scope. Whether individuals’ motivations for temporarily staying in the United States are for leisure, pursing education, career-oriented or marriage/family uniting, choosing the right visas to apply not only saves time, but can guarantee higher chances of success.

The main difference between non-immigrant visas and immigrant visas are that non-immigrant visas usually limited the applicants with a specific period of time to stay in the U.S. The time can range from a few weeks to several years, depending on the types of visas; also, applicants for each specific non-immigrant visa petition are strictly allowed to come to the U.S. “only” for reasons that the visas specified. For instance, no student visa (F-1) individuals can deviate from the duty of being a full-time student rather than engaging in work. Due to the fact that this is a Non-immigrant visa, usually applicants’ intention to come to the U.S. plays an important role for the final approval decision.

Although a few work visas may change the status to permanent residency (green card), most non-immigrant visas petitioners must show no intention to remain in the U.S. after the termination of their legal stay. Usually, petitioners’ dependent spouses and minor children will be given derivative visas according to the granted visas applied. Start your research today by clicking the appropriate categories on the left and have our professionals guide you according to your concerns.

The O-1 non-immigrant visa is for the individual who possesses extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or who has demonstrated a record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry and has been recognized nationally or internationally for those achievements. O-1 visa can be divided into O-1A visa or O-1B visa depending on what extraordinary ability the individual possess.

O-1A visa is for individuals with an extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business, or athletics. O-1B visa is for individuals with an extraordinary ability in the arts or extraordinary achievement in motion picture or television industry. If individuals who are holding O-1 visas and wish to apply for permanent residency, EB-1A (please refer to related link under EB-1A for more information) may be the best option.


O-2 visa is given to support staff accompanying the O-1 principal to assist with artistic or athletic events. The period of stay for O visa is up to 3 years with the possible 1 year extension from USCIS. Dependents’ Spouses and children under the age of 21 are subject to entitle O-3 visa; however, with the O-3 visa, individuals are not qualified for applying employment authorization.

Here at Jian Law Group, we successfully served many cases for those talented individuals to obtain immigrant visas through EB-1A. These extremely talented individuals covered from different industries which include film directors, famous actors/actresses, purple clay artist, and last but not least Olympic champion athletes. It is our pleasure to assist our clients to apply to O visa and the option of immigrant visa through EB-1A. For more filing details please contact us for a prompt reply.

bottom of page