top of page

Non-Immigrant visas

Non-immigrant visas covered from a wide range of scope. Whether individuals’ motivations for temporarily staying in the United States are for leisure, pursing education, career-oriented or marriage/family uniting, choosing the right visas to apply not only saves time, but can guarantee higher chances of success.

The main difference between non-immigrant visas and immigrant visas are that non-immigrant visas usually limited the applicants with a specific period of time to stay in the U.S. The time can range from a few weeks to several years, depending on the types of visas; also, applicants for each specific non-immigrant visa petition are strictly allowed to come to the U.S. “only” for reasons that the visas specified. For instance, no student visa (F-1) individuals can deviate from the duty of being a full-time student rather than engaging in work. Due to the fact that this is a Non-immigrant visa, usually applicants’ intention to come to the U.S. plays an important role for the final approval decision.

Although a few work visas may change the status to permanent residency (green card), most non-immigrant visas petitioners must show no intention to remain in the U.S. after the termination of their legal stay. Usually, petitioners’ dependent spouses and minor children will be given derivative visas according to the granted visas applied. Start your research today by clicking the appropriate categories on the left and have our professionals guide you according to your concerns.

Change of status is common when individuals are looking for extensions of stay or change from one non-immigrant category to another non-immigrant category. General speaking, if individuals are seeking to change or extend their status while in the U.S., form I-539 needs to be filed with the USCIS. For example, if foreign nationals who enter the U.S. with B-1/B-2 visas and wish to remain in the U.S. to study, F1 is needed in order to obtain the legal status to study in the U.S. or vice versa. 

With numbers of successful cases and varying experiences of helping individuals remain in the U.S. according to their purposes, Jian Law Group offers the efficient consultation and solution exactly to our clients’ needs. For more information regarding how to change the status from one category to another, please contact us for further assistance.

bottom of page