top of page

Non-Immigrant visas

Non-immigrant visas covered from a wide range of scope. Whether individuals’ motivations for temporarily staying in the United States are for leisure, pursing education, career-oriented or marriage/family uniting, choosing the right visas to apply not only saves time, but can guarantee higher chances of success.

The main difference between non-immigrant visas and immigrant visas are that non-immigrant visas usually limited the applicants with a specific period of time to stay in the U.S. The time can range from a few weeks to several years, depending on the types of visas; also, applicants for each specific non-immigrant visa petition are strictly allowed to come to the U.S. “only” for reasons that the visas specified. For instance, no student visa (F-1) individuals can deviate from the duty of being a full-time student rather than engaging in work. Due to the fact that this is a Non-immigrant visa, usually applicants’ intention to come to the U.S. plays an important role for the final approval decision.

Although a few work visas may change the status to permanent residency (green card), most non-immigrant visas petitioners must show no intention to remain in the U.S. after the termination of their legal stay. Usually, petitioners’ dependent spouses and minor children will be given derivative visas according to the granted visas applied. Start your research today by clicking the appropriate categories on the left and have our professionals guide you according to your concerns.

Student visa (F-1 visa):

Academic student or individuals who are willing to pursue further advanced education (F-1). Individuals who wish to come to the U.S. to study will need to apply for either F-1 or M-1 visa. F-1 visa is for academic students who are coming to the U.S. as full-time students at academic institutions. If foreign students are currently outside of the U.S. and require visas to enter, individuals can apply for an F-1 visa at an American Consulate or Embassy abroad. Please be noted that whether or not to grant the F-1 visa to enter the U.S. is in the interests of American Consulate abroad and that no intention to give up the foreign residency is advised. Foreign students who are holding F-1 visa must be fully devoted or classified as full-time students and may not work except for on-campus employment with restrictions.


M-1 visa is for foreign students in vocational or nonacademic programs.


Jian Law Group provides an excellent service for F-1 consultation and for individuals who wish to change their status to F-1 while in the U.S. For more information please refer to change of status on the related link or contact us for prompting reply.

bottom of page